Grubs, Games & God
Formerly ‘Friday at 5.15’, our new social gathering with Christian content, will launch in church on Friday May 6th, and will thereafter be on the first Friday of each month. The time is in the title! This is for all, young or less young, in family groups or otherwise, with snacks, drinks (including wine) and hot food for all, crafts and games for the children, a brief Christian presentation, and plenty of unstructured time to relax and enjoy each other’s company. Please come, and please spread the word.
Use of the Chalice
We have resumed the use of the chalice (communion cup). Please note that intinction (dipping the bread in the wine) is not approved by the Church of England guidance. Many people, quite understandably, think that it is more hygienic than drinking from the cup, but research has shown that the opposite is true. Clergy are also instructed not to place the communion wafer directly onto the tongue of the communicant.
“We believe that the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Godmanchester, exists to build up the individual and corporate spiritual life of our Church and to spread the love of Christ through word and deed, by enabling those who live and work within our town to come into contact with God’s love and come to faith in Christ”.
IN-PERSON SUNDAY SERVICES IN BOTH CHURCHES ARE at 9.30am in Godmanchester and 8am in Hilton
Please note that masks will no longer be required in church, and distancing need not be observed and singing will resume but communion will still be in one kind only, the consecrated bread.
Dear Godmanchester Church Family,
The PCC met this week and we discussed the pattern of worship. Here is what it looks like for now, but in these changing times this is unlikely to be set in stone for ever.
- Sung Eucharist at 9.30 am every Sunday.
- Prayer for Healing to take place during the Sung Eucharist on the 1st Sunday of the month
- Evensong at 6.30 pm on a Sunday to become a monthly service rather than a weekly one, to be held on the 4th Sunday of the month. Evening Prayer, with no music, will be said in church on the Sundays when there is no Evensong.
- 8.00 am Holy Communion will be held each Sunday.
- There will be a Holy Communion on Zoom every Wednesday at 2.30pm
- The mid-week Thursday Holy Communion service in church at 9.45 am continues, as does daily Compline at 6.30 pm by Zoom (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88296204382?pwd=N3VoUXhwQXBLS3BSK0JpZ0V3Vmc2dz09)
I am very pleased that we are able to resume the monthly services at The Chestnuts (1st Wednesday at 10.00 am) and McCartney House (4th Wednesday, at 9.45 am). Thanks to the residents who have kindly organised this for us.